Monday 18 December 2017

Guy McPherson chasing lights in Norway and trying to deal with difficult people

It has been a source of joy for me to hear after all that he has gone through in recent times, and with his Australian tour having been cancelled (Australia’s loss) Guy and Pauline have been able to take some time out to enjoy some time in the Norwegian Arctic observing the Northern Lights.

However, as can be seen, people who disrespect and wish harm towards Guy, whom I can only call arseholes have followed him there.

Guy is not mentioning any names but I can hazard a guess who was responsible.

Chasing Lights




NatureBats Last,
17 December, 2017



In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present
~ Sir Francis Bacon

Some readers have informed me that my essays must stick to climate science. According to this perspective, my personal life is not worth reading about, hence not worth writing about. Others of course feel similarly about my work on abrupt climate change leading to near-term human extinction. I rarely waterboard an unsuspecting victim into reading anything I write, but on this occasion I’m providing a note of warning: What follows is a personal account, nearly devoid of evidence about abrupt climate change.

As regular followers of my work are aware, I recently visited Norway. The airfare was generously, accidentally provided by the attempted host and sponsor of my Australian tour when he withdrew support. The evidence-free smear campaign launched my way caused him to fearfully withdraw sponsorship after flexible airline tickets were purchased. Living my message led me on a chase for the northern lights, which I’d never seen. I’ll express a few thoughts as I depart the country this dark Sunday morning.


In the Oslo airport, headed to Tromsø

I know the environmental costs of air travel. I also know about global dimming, the topic few self-proclaimed authorities refuse to acknowledge. Please keep your judgment to yourself.

The trip was an overwhelming success. Aurora borealis spectacularly swirled and shimmied from horizon to horizon. The ten people in my first-night tour group were treated to a multicolored, all-night show. Even though I’m chromatically challenged, the celestial show was impressive.

The second night was canceled by a snowstorm. The final night found us viewing great lights again, this time beneath the sparkling Geminid meteor shower.



The return to my Scandahoovian roots — as my mom would jokingly say — attracted the kind of animus I’ve come to expect from people who would prefer I become as miserable as they are. Sadly for them, those days are long behind me. I no longer use the expectations of others as a means of entrapment.


As usual, I volunteered my time to meet with anybody who desired on my first and likely last trip to Norway. This is known as generosity. Many people, unfamiliar with the concept, confuse it with seeking status.

As usual, my generosity was countered with selfishness and hatred. My attempt to serve as a rare “leaver” in the spirit of American writer Daniel Quinn was abundantly greeted with Quinn’s commonplace “takers.”

Emblematic of my generosity, I agreed to have lunch with anybody who desired. Almost immediately, I was attacked by anonymous trolls claiming I would use the opportunity to extract meal money out of unsuspecting “fans.”

I’m the most generous person I know with respect to money and time. I have given away nearly all that hasn’t been taken from me.

Whereas I’m not averse to dining at the expense of somebody who wants to converse with me, I don’t charge for the experience. People far less knowledgeable and interesting than me charge $500 US per hour to chat on the telephone. Dining surely costs even more! In contrast, I’ve been practicing a “gift economy” in a world dominated by takers so long I’ve barely a dime to my name. 

Such is the outcome one can expect in response to generosity in a culture of colonization.

A visiting Catalonian selected the venue. My partner and I arrived at the appointed time and place to enjoy the delightful company of new companions from Norway, Spain, and England.

Good news: Seven of us enjoyed the meal and conversation. More good news: One of the seven generously picked up the tab.

Bad news, at least for the jealous trolls: I’ll not reveal which one. More bad news: We’re leaving Norway this morning.

I’d like to report that I will reflect positively on the entire Norwegian experience in the years to come. For better and worse, I don’t have years ahead of me.



A PERSONAL POSTSCRIPT

Unfortunately it seems to be my fate to fall out with people who have have picked a fight- in each case over Guy McPherson.

Notable examples have been Nicole Foss and Mike Ferrigan.

Now I can add Torstein Viddal to that list. 

Already notorious for being crusty (that is the most charitable description I can give) and picking a fight usually over nothing 

His response to what I took to an innocent question of mine regarding a Jennifer Hynes interview with Paul Beckwith left me shaken and definitely more understanding of what Guy has had to put up with.

"Scary, scary. Can you tell me what interview this was taken from, Torsten?"

His response:

"Can you explaing to me the realistic situation where you would need to know which interview this was taken from Robin. Has someone got their knife to your throat....?"


More comments followed which I do not have access to as we worked himself up to what must have been quite a rage.

Finally, I was kicked out of his Facebook group and blocked:


I'm gonna block you forever here now. You fool me for a long time, but your posting of the Climate Denier vid yesterday was very revealing.”



I have noticed this tendency to pick arguments and especially with Guy. My observation is that he tends to make prognosticiations which Guy has quoted and then he gets angry with being quoted and denies his original statements.

It would take a fairly obsessed mind to spend time putting the following piece with Mike Ferrigan and Mike Sliwa together.

It is very sad that we can't just debate the science and keep it seemly without the ad hominem attacks and efforts to destroy Guy's reputation.

The video is from Extinction Radio.  One might ask what any of the following has to with near-term extinction or climate change, but we have to keep in mind who we are dealing with.

It is not in my nature to ignore such behaviour and slurs towards the messenger of Bad News.




Just in case you think this is just about me I would like to share two comments on this from Facebook (names withheld):

My interactions with Torstein have been consistently weird. He rarely answers a question directly”


I have had so many battles with him (Torsten), always about nothing. Also other friends have been blocked like you. I hope you find ways to feel better. I’m not sure what would make him feel better about himself. Not sure that I care”

And about Guy McPherson:

“My experiences with Guy are that I have found him generous, helpful and generally magnanimous. I don’t always agree with all he says, and I think he’s cool with that, which adds to his integrity”

Precisely!

****


All of this is very sad. I like to get on with people and do with the majority and cannot help those with whom I cannot get on with.

It has given me once again cause to consider the future of what I have been doing day-in and day-out for over six years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.