Thursday 5 October 2017

"Pondering an idea is not predicting it" - Guy McPherson

Inaugural Schultz Awareness Lecture
Guy McPherson


I’m stunned the system known as industrial civilization is still sufficiently intact to allow air travel. As a result, I’m pleasantly surprised I’m still alive. Contrary to the lies and wishes of my detractors, I’ve not predicted otherwise. Pondering an idea is not predicting it, even when I use strong language as I ponder. And I’ve churned this terrain a few dozen times. I’ve no doubt ignorance will continue to prevail.

The Arctic is not yet ice-free, contrary to the 2012 analysis predicting an ice-free Arctic Ocean in 2016 plus or minus 3 years as well as the fragility of the ice during the summer of 2017. Refreezing began this September earlier than expected. As recently pointed out by the president of Finland in the White House, “if we lose the Arctic, we lose the globe.” Humans have dodged five bullets in as many years. I doubt the trend continues much longer. And, no, there will not be a human on Earth in 2026.

Living with urgency is a valid alternative to accepting the ridiculously customary infinite-growth paradigm. Reading comprehension is unsurprisingly poor in a system characterized by dumbing down and willful ignorance. I’ll soon attempt, yet again, to swim against the cultural tide.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.