Wednesday 20 March 2019

A brief holiday


A brief respite from the internet and the collapse of civilisation


Pam and I had 24 hours away from computer and wi-fi at the base of the forested Tararuas. It was a terrible revelation. I felt hotter sitting in the cottage than any time during the summer in our house.



I was wakened by heat at 12.30 am. The temperatures were hotter than when I went to bed or got up in the morning.

The lack of insects was painfully obvious. I saw a solitary bumblebee and beetle.as well as a fly. No nocturnal moths which I am used to from my childhood. Not even any biting mosquitoes or sandflies!


We have more diversity in our suburban garden!

I have not been away for 2.5 years and this made me realise just how quickly things are changing.

I am tired and rather anxious about coming changes after the mass shooting in Christchurch.


Whilst away we were woken up by the heat at 12.30am and by the full moon which was behind clouds like the ones below. It was hotter in the middle of the night than it was when I went to bed or woke up in the morning.




15-20:years ago, hiking in the area we would have needed a sleeping bag and inner liner.

I was so hot I slept for 3 hours under a single blanket. Only at 4 am did it become to cold for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.