Tuesday, 28 November 2017

NZ: Central Otago ht by massive flooding

Floods on top of the drought. 

This is just days after record-breaking temperatures of 33.3 deg. C. in nearby Cromwell.

Central Otago flooding: More heavy rain

Heavy rain is continuing to cause problems in Central Otago, with homes in Clyde surrounded by floodwaters last night and more rain expected later today.

28 November, 2017

The Fire Service was called out to five homes between 8pm and 9.30pm after lightning storms brought heavy rain.

None of the homes needed to be evacuated.

The aftermath of flooding at Miller's Flat, just south of Roxburgh
The aftermath of flooding at Miller's Flat, just south of Roxburgh Photo: RNZ / Ian Telfer

Further south, Roxburgh residents still dealing with the aftermath of severe flooding on Sunday are bracing for more heavy rain today.

The town flooded when 40 millimetres of rain fell in two hours, with the deluge knocking out power and water to the town's 600 residents, covering roads and gardens with silt and damaging sewers.

Senior Sergeant Ian Kerrisk said the police were working closely with the district council to prepare for more heavy rain expected later today.

He said Roxburgh would have a greater police presence for the next few days.

Central Otago Mayor Tim Cadogan said the diggers were out again this morning, but the forecast for further heavy rain was a worry, as the culvert designed to deal with the deluge was still full of rubble.

"There is some concern there, we're going to watch nervously today with that heavy rain and see if it copes."

He said water services should be restored tomorrow, as both power and piping at the reservoir needed to be repaired, before it could be refilled and the line is tested.

Mr Cadogan said there were a number of water tankers around the town, and about one portaloo for every 26 people.

Roxburgh woman Becky Slade told Morning Report the clean-up at their property - which was 30m away from the creek - was a huge operation.

She said they had to clear out "thick, horrible, gloopy" silt, as well as rocks and debris.

Ms Slade said the power and phone was back on in her house, but the water was out.

The creek was "roaring" during Sunday's deluge, she said.

"I've never seen rain like it, the thunder and lightning stayed on us for three hours."

No comments:

Post a comment