Trump May Revoke Security Clearance For Brennan, Clapper, Comey, McCabe, & Rice
23 July, 2017
Update: The responses have begun. James Clapper spoke on CNN this afternoon, calling Trump's actions "a petty way of retribution."
“Well, it’s interesting news. I’m reading it and learning about it just as you are. I think it’s off the top of my head it’s a sad commentary,”
Clapper said. “For political reasons, this is a petty way of retribution, I suppose for speaking out against the president, which I think, on the part of all of us, are born out of genuine concerns about President Trump.”
“It’s frankly more of a courtesy that former senior officials and the intelligence community are extended the courtesy of keeping the security clearance. Haven’t had a case of using it. And it has no bearing whatsoever on my regard or lack thereof for President Trump or what he’s doing,” he continued.
"Not only is the President looking to take away Brennan's security clearance, he's also looking into the clearances of Comey, Clapper, Hayden, Rice and McCabe," said Sanders, reading from a prepared statement, "because they've politicized, and in some cases, monetized their public service and security clearances. Making baseless accusations of improper contact with Russia or being influenced by Russia, against the President, is extremely inappropriate."
"The fact that people with security clearances are making these baseless charges provides inappropriate legitimacy to accusations with zero evidence."
Earlier in the day, Senator Rand Paul tweeted: "Is John Brennan monetizing his security clearance? Is John Brennan making millions of dollars divulging secrets to the mainstream media with his attacks on @realDonaldTrump ?"
Brennan, a senior national security and intelligence analyst for NBC News and MSNBC, said that President Trump's comments following the Helsinki summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin "rises to & exceeds the threshold of “high crimes & misdemeanors," adding "It was nothing short of treasonous."
James Clapper, meanwhile, is an employee of CNN, while former FBI Director James Comey has been traveling around the country peddling his book, telling people to vote Democrat - just not "Socialist Democrat."
Trump is trying to strip Obama's intelligence chiefs of their security clearance in revenge for making 'baseless accusations' including TREASON against him
- Sarah Sanders announced at her press briefing President Trump is exploring ways to remove clearances of those former intelligence officials critical of him
- Sanders had no details on how they would be removed but she said the administration is 'exploring' options
- She charged the former intelligence officials with using their clearances for political purposes and financial gain
- Those officials include former CIA chief John Brennan, former FBI director James Comey, former deputy Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation Andrew McCabe, former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, former Director of the National Security Agency Michael Hayden, and former National Security Advisor Susan Rice
- Clapper told CNN the move was 'a petty thing to do'
- Comey and McCabe no longer even have clearances
President Donald Trump is exploring ways to remove the security clearances of former CIA chief John Brennan, former FBI director James Comey and other Obama era national security officials who have been critical of his administration.
White House press secretary Sarah Sanders made the shocking announcement at her briefing on Monday and charged the officials with using their security clearances for political means and financial gain.
Former deputy Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation Andrew McCabe, former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, former Director of the National Security Agency Michael Hayden, and former National Security Advisor Susan Rice are also on the White House list