Wild weather in New Zealand.
We had some rain here in Wellington overnight which has taken the temperatures down from about 28C to 26C.
The wild weather is still to hit us here.
You know the Anglo-Saxons and how they talk about the weather. We had a birthday party yesterday and the one thing people DIDN'T talk about was the weather.
Any talk of climate change is totally taboo.
The wild weather has claimed its first death after a large tree fell on a woman's car in Rotorua.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
* A woman has died after a tree fell onto a car in Rotorua.
* According to NIWA, since 9am Thursday, 41mm of rain fell in Auckland - more than the total amount of rain in November and December combined.
* State Highway 25 between Thames and Manaia is closed due to slips and rock falls.
* The overnight downpour has forced the closure of State Highway 1 to Kaikōura until further notice.
* Part of Auckland's Tamaki Drive has been closed due to water spilling on the road.
* People in low-laying parts of the Firth of Thames are being told to urgently self-evacuate.
* MetService expect the worst of the severe weather to be over by midday tomorrow.