Thursday, 8 June 2017

Terror attack in Tehran

From Pepe Escobar

IRAN: IT WAS NOT DAESH, IT WAS MEK

Daesh can’t pull off a simultaneous attack against the Parliament and Khomeini’s shrine in Tehran.

They have ZERO local intel and they are totally incapable of recruiting Iranian “martyrs”.

But Mojahedin-e Khalgh’s (MEK) goons can.

Israel used MEK goons to assassinate Iranian nuclear scientists.

MEK were the first to use suicide bombing in Iran.

MEK is now funded by – how lovely – the House of Saud.

It’s not Daesh. It’s MEK – “supported” by the bloody Saudis.

And then there’s MBS.

As in Mohammad bin Salman, the noxious Warrior Prince who’s destroying Yemen and has ordered the demonization of Qatar.

MBS gave the game away last month – when he said Saudi Arabia would take the “battle” inside Iran.

MEK.

MBS.

Look no further.

And expect no Trump tweet condemning terror in Tehran.

ISIS Claim Credit for Attack on Iranian Parliament, Holy Shrine in Tehran




A multi-prong terrorist attack has struck Iran’s capital city this morning. Gunmen and suicide bombers converged on three targets including Iran’s Parliament building and the mausoleum of Imam Khomeini, killing staff and members of the public. 

According Tasnim News, the terrorist attack has killed seven people so far, while 4 others are being held hostage on the top floors of the building:

0802 GMT: Sources told Tasnim that the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) hostage rescue teams have killed one of the four gunmen inside the parliament. No official has verified the statement yet.

0823 GMT: A blast occurs on the fifth floor of the parliament building. Snipers have been stationed all around the parliament.

Police helicopters have been deployed over the government building, and the site has been locked down, and security services had phone lines in the complex disconnected, and mobiles jammed.
1 Tehran Parliament
In a separate incident, terrorist gunmen opened fire at the mausoleum of the Imam Khomeini, the founder of the Islamic Republic of Iran, south of Tehran. 

Tasnim reports that terrorists had entered the mausoleum from its western gate:
0722 GMT: Following the shooting, a gunman blew himself and another was shot to death by police forces and a women was also arrested.

Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attacks according to the ISIS propaganda arm, Amaq news agency.
1 Iran
The moment the bomb went off, captured on CCTV (Image courtesy of Tasnim News)
1 Tehran suicide bomb
Aftermath of suicide bomb at tomb of Imam Khomeini (Image courtesy of Tasnim News)
1 Bomber
Terrorists’ kit left behind during fighting (Image courtesy of Tasnim News)
A third plot was also foiled Iran’s internal intelligence agency. According to Iranian state broadcaster Irib, “Members of a third group were arrested before being able to carry out any attack.”

The attacks appear to be specifically designed to promote a US-Israeli-Saudi sectarian narrative in the region designed to stoke tensions between different religious sects of Islam. Regarding this,The Guardian reports:

Shia Iran has been singled out as a target by Sunni jihadis, including Isis, but has largely escaped attacks within its urban centres. Iran provides ground forces to fight Isis and other rebel groups in Syria and Iraq.”

Isis published a rare video in Persian in March, warning that it “will conquer Iran and restore it to the Sunni Muslim nation as it was before”. The group and other extremists consider Shias to be apostates, and the video accuses Iranians of persecuting Sunnis over the centuries.”

STAY TUNED TO 21WIRE FOR MORE UPDATES.

From Press TV

Iran’s parliament, Imam Khomeini's Mausoleum come under attack




Iran’s Parliament (Majlis) and the mausoleum of the late founder of the Islamic Republic Imam Khomeini in the capital Tehran have come under terrorist attacks.

According to reports, a dozen people have been killed in Wednesday's attacks while another 42 have been injured and admitted to 3 hospitals to receive treatment.

The Daesh Takfiri terrorist group has claimed responsibility for the attacks.

6 photos from Iran Parliament and Mausoleum double terror attack





Reporting from Qatar's al-Jazeera



Saudi FM: Qatar measures taken with great pain



Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir has said in Berlin that he believes the Gulf states can resolve the dispute themselves, but that Qatar must take several steps in order to restore ties.


"The issue with Qatar goes back a number of years. There was an understanding for Qatar to take measures about supporting some organizations and some individuals. Qatar committed to deal with the issue but regrettably we didn't see an appropriate response. And this is what led some countries to take measures against Qatar," he said.


"We took these measures with great pain and we took them for Qatar's interests, for the interests of the region and for the sake of stability and security. We hope the brothers in Qatar will take the appropriate measures to avoid this crisis."


    tehran-attacks.jpg

One of the world’s most violent and volatile neighbourhoods just got even more dangerous




Daesh terrorist group claimed responsibility for the recent attacks in the Iranian capital of Tehran, SITE Intel Group reports on Twitter.
BREAKING: claimed its first attack in , reporting through 'Amaq that its fighters hit the Khomeini shrine & parliament in


Saudi Arabia Behind Deadly Attacks in Tehran - Iran's Revolutionary Guards
Iran's Revolutionary Guards accused Saudi Arabia of being behind the twin terrorist attacks in Tehran, according to Reuters.


7 June, 2017


"This terrorist attack happened only a week after the meeting between the US president [Donald Trump] and the [Saudi] backward leaders who support terrorists. The fact that Daesh has claimed responsibility proves that they were involved in the brutal attack," a statement read as quoted by Reuters.


Earlier in the day, a group of four people in women's clothes opened fire in the building of the Iranian Parliament, with a subsequent explosion. Another attack involving an explosion took place near the Imam Khomeini shrine.

The Iranian Justice Ministry said earlier in the day that at least 12 people were killed and 39 injured in the attacks on the parliament and the Imam Khomeini shrine, also in Tehran.

One of the perpetrators was detained.

Daesh claimed responsibility for the attacks.





Update: the bill has passed, Bloomberg reports:

TURKEY APPROVES BILL ALLOWING TRAINING TO QATAR SECURITY FORCES


In the ongoing diplomatic crisis between Qatar and its Gulf/Arab peers, which is either the result of Saudi nat gas envy or - for those who watch CNN - Russian hacking, Turkey has emerged as a vocal supporter of the small but wealthy state. On Tuesday, Turkish President Recep Erdogan defended Qatar, saying he personally would have intervened if accusations that the tiny Gulf emirate supports "terrorism" were true and said he intends to "develop" ties with the embattled Gulf state hit by sanctions from Saudi Arabia and its allies.

"Let me say at the outset that we do not think the sanctions against Qatar are good," Erdogan said in a speech in Ankara."Turkey will continue and will develop our ties with Qatar, as with all our friends who have supported us in the most difficult moments," he added in reference to last year's failed coup. The support puts Turkey in a complicated position because while the NATO member has close ties with Qatar it also has good relations with the other Gulf states, especially Saudi Arabia.

Turkey's support for Qatar also has ideological reasons as in the past both both have provided support for the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt and backed rebels fighting to overthrow Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

Erdogan was careful not to criticise Riyadh, calling on the member nations of the Gulf Cooperation Council to "resolve their differences through dialogue".

"Efforts to isolate Qatar ... will not solve any problem," said Erdogan, praising Doha's "cool-headedness" and "constructive approach".

"Presenting Qatar as a supporter of terrorism is a serious accusation," the Turkish leader said. "I know [Qatar's leaders] well and if that had been the case, I would have been the first head of state to confront them" which of course is ironic coming from near-dictator, who last year cracked down on over 100,000 Turkish citizens accusing them of cooperating with Fethulah Gulen's "shadow state", and who has been accused of using false flag terrorist attacks to crack down on the Kurdish minority in his country.

On Wednesday morning Turkish support for Qatar escalated after the country's parliament was expected to fast-track a draft bill allowing its troops to be deployed to a Turkish military base in Qatar, officials from the ruling AK Party and the nationalist opposition said.

According to Reuters, lawmakers from Erdogan's AK Party have proposed debating two pieces of legislation: allowing Turkish troops to be deployed in Qatar and approving an accord between the two countries on military training cooperation, AKP and nationalist opposition officials said. The draft bills, which were drawn up before the spat between Qatar and its Arab neighbours erupted, are expected to be approved by the Ankara parliament later on Wednesday.

Just like the US with its CENTCOM base, as part of an agreement signed in 2014 Turkey set up a military base in Qatar, its first such installation in the Middle East. In 2016 Ahmet Davutoglu, then Turkish prime minister, visited the base where 150 troops have already been stationed, the Turkish daily Hurriyet reported.

In an interview with Reuters in late 2015, Ahmet Demirok, Turkey's ambassador to Qatar at the time, said 3,000 ground troops would eventually be deployed at the base, planned to serve primarily as a venue for joint training exercises.

The imminent Turkish decision to deploy troops comes as a Saudi 24 hour ultimatum, issued on Tuesday night, and containing 10 conditions among which demands by Saudi Arabia is that Qatar end all ties Muslim Brotherhood and Hamas, is ticking. While it was unclear what the outcome would be should Qatar fail to comply, some analysts have gone so far as to suggest a "military confrontation."

As we reported last night, speaking to Al Jazeera, analyst Giorgio Cafiero of Gulf State Analytics, a geopolitical risk consultancy based in Washington, DC, said: "I think the Kuwaitis as well as Omanis ... fear the prospects of these tensions escalating in ways which could undermine the interest of all six members of the GCC.

"There are many analysts who believe that a potential break-up of the GCC has to be considered right now. If these countries fail to resolve their issues and such tensions reaches new heights, we have to be very open to the possibility of these six Arab countries no longer being able to unite under the banner of one council," said Cafiero.

He added that if tension escalates, some have warned of a "military confrontation".

From Press TV




Turkey's parliament approves a measure to deploy troops to a Turkish military base in Qatar amid a widening rift between the Arab country and neighbors in the Persian Gulf region.


If Erdogan puts troops in Qatar, he is signing his death warrant


Peter Lavelle of RT and the Duran makes sense of it all

No comments:

Post a Comment