Republican pres candidates: Ground war with ISIS now!
12 March, 2016
The four remaining Republican presidential candidates clamored during their latest debate to be considered most likely to begin another massive ground war in the Middle East, this time in pursuit of an end to jihadist group Islamic State.
'Civil' GOP debate: Trump, Cruz, Rubio attack Washington, not each otherOn Thursday night, during their 12th presidential debate, GOP candidates Donald Trump, Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio and John Kasich each touted how draconian they would be in countering Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL) in regions of Syria and Iraq the group has come to control in recent years.
Trump suddenly endorses 20,000-30,000 US troops to fight ISIS after saying for last year that air strikes and "take the oil" enough.
Leaked ISIS ‘entry forms’ could expose 22,000 terrorists from over 50 states http://on.rt.com/76js
Not enough guns: More Americans concerned US military no longer #1Trump, like the other candidates, promised to build "a stronger military, much stronger," while Rubio said he would rebuild the US armed forces, as "Barack Obama is gutting our military."
Trump calls for ground troops in Iraq, Syria
Donald Trump would deploy up to 30,000 American soldiers in the Middle East to defeat the Islamic State, he said at Thursday night’s debate.
Trump was answering a question about comments from General Lloyd Austin III, the head of U.S. Central Command who said more troops on the ground would be needed to defeat ISIS in Syria and Iraq.
“We really have no choice, we have to knock out ISIS,” Trump said. “I would listen to the generals, but I’m hearing numbers of 20,000-30,000.”
Trump typically rails against American military involvement around the world, but he was not alone in calling for ground troops in Iraq and Syria at the debate.
“We need to do whatever is necessary to utterly defeat ISIS,” Senator Ted Cruz said. “We need to put whatever ground power is needed.”
“You have to be in the air and you have to be on the ground,” said Ohio Gov. John Kasich.
Trump Postpones Chicago Rally After Massive Protest Outside Venue
12 March, 2016
The Donald Trump rally at UIC Chicago Pavilion in Chicago was postponed on Friday evening after thousands of his supporters had already began to fill the venue, due to a massive protest surrounding the building.
Many different activist groups converged for a march to the venue where they began to link hands to block the roadway. Protesters were both inside and outside the building, and many of them appeared to be UIC students.
Anyone who was wearing anti-Trump clothing or carrying protest signs were not allowed into the event, however, many demonstrators made their way inside and were met with a hostile crowd.
After the announcement that the event was cancelled, fights broke out both inside and outside the venue. A demonstrator also made his way to Trump's podium.
Approximately 180 members of the university's faculty had signed a letter to the chancellor expressing concern about the candidate speaking at the campus. UIC is said to be one of the most diverse universities in the nation.
CBS Chicago station WBBM reported that a Chicago police officer was injured during the clashes. CBS said its news reporter Sopan Deb was detained by law enforcement while covering the protest.
Earlier in the day, as Trump spoke in St. Louis, a black Ferguson activist was beaten and bloodied by one of the candidate's supporters as he used a bullhorn to denounce racism. Videos uploaded to social media also showed Trump's followers shouting hate speech at the protesters, unsurprisingly, as Trump himself seemed to encourage violence from the podium. After being interrupted, the presidential hopeful lamented that it was a “shame” that protesters had to be treated “gently” by police.