Monday 22 July 2013

Earthquake in China


Death toll rising after China quake
A strong earthquake struck a rural part of western China on Monday morning (Monday afternoon NZT), killing at least 20 people and injuring 296, according to the local government.


22 July, 2013


The quake hit near the city of Dingxi in Gansu province, a region of mountains, desert and pastureland with a population of 26 million.

That makes it one of China's more lightly populated provinces, although the New Jersey-sized Dingxi area has a greater concentration of farms and towns with a total population of about 2.7 million.

The deaths and injuries were reported in Min County and other rural southern parts of the municipality, Dingxi Mayor Tang Xiaoming told state broadcaster CCTV.

Tang said damage was worst in the counties of Zhang and Min, where scores of homes were damaged and telephone and electricity services knocked out.

Residents described shaking windows and swinging lights but little major damage and little panic.

Shaking was felt in the provincial capital of Lanzhou 177km north, and as far away as Xi'an, 400km to the east.

''You could see the chandeliers wobble and the windows vibrating and making noise, but there aren't any cracks in the walls. Shop assistants all poured out onto the streets when the shaking began,'' said a front desk clerk at the Wuyang Hotel in the Zhang County seat about 40km from the epicenter.

The clerk surnamed Bao refrained from identifying herself further, as is common among ordinary Chinese.

The government's earthquake monitoring center said the initial quake at 7.45am (early Monday afternoon NZT) was magnitude-6.6 and subsequent tremors included a magnitude-5.6.

The quake was shallow, which can be more destructive.

The center said it struck about 20km beneath the surface, while the Gansu provincial earthquake administration said it was just 6km deep.

Initial measurements of an earthquake can vary widely, especially if different monitoring equipment is used.

Dingxi is about 1233km west of Beijing. China's worst earthquake in recent years was a 7.9-magnitude temblor that struck the southwestern province of Sichuan in 2008, leaving 90,000 people dead or missing


Today's quakes



SRCLocationUTC Date/timeMDINFO
ERI Felt A (not Listed) Strong EarthquakeJul 21 23:594.60MAP I Felt It
GEOFONGansu, ChinaJul 21 23:456.010MAP I Felt It
EMSCGansu, ChinaJul 21 23:456.010MAP I Felt It INFO
  • xian - I felt strong shaking in the morning in xian China lasting around 30 seconds
  • Xi'an, shaanxi, china - We live on the sixth floor, hanging lamps were swinging, went on for at least thirty seconds.
  • Xi'an, Shaanxi - Perhaps not felt on the ground here, but on the 24th floor the building rocked back and forth gently as the shock-waves passed by.
  • Lanzhou - felt our building shake for 15 seconds
  • Xian - 10th floor swaying back and forth.
  • Xian, shaanxi - The doors were moving back and forward.
  • Xian - 26th floor of a building. the shaking started around 7:50. In the beginning thought I was dizzy, but then saw the lamps shaking. lasted for 1 or 2 minutes
  • CEICDingxi, Gansu, ChinaJul 21 23:456.620MAP I Felt It
  • Xi'an, Shaanxi - Felt it on 15th floor apt this morning, seemed to last a minute, with a couple aftershocks for the next 10 minutes. Building swayed, doors and lamps swinging gently. No damage but easily noticed and somewhat dizzying.
  • USGSGansu, ChinaJul 21 23:455.99MAP I Felt It
  • Chengdu - Felt the bed swaying a little on the 13th floor, only about 10 seconds
  • GEONETSeddonJul 21 23:354.714MAP I Felt It
    USGSCook Strait, New ZealandJul 21 22:474.64MAP I Felt It INFO
    EMSCCook Strait, New ZealandJul 21 22:474.64MAP I Felt It
    GEONETSeddonJul 21 22:475.217MAP I Felt It
    GEOFONTurkeyJul 21 21:434.610MAP I Felt It INFO
    GEONETHaastJul 21 20:435.520MAP I Felt It INFO
    GEONETTwizelJul 21 18:325.0380MAP I Felt It INFO
    GEONETCollingwoodJul 21 16:534.8418MAP I Felt It INFO
    GEONETSeddonJul 21 15:224.810MAP I Felt It
    EMSCCook Strait, New ZealandJul 21 15:154.82MAP I Felt It
    GEOFONCook Strait, New ZealandJul 21 15:154.810MAP I Felt It
    USGSCook Strait, New ZealandJul 21 15:154.910MAP I Felt It
    GEONETSeddonJul 21 15:154.910MAP I Felt It
    GEOFONNorthern ChileJul 21 14:514.888MAP I Felt It INFO
    EMSCPapua, IndonesiaJul 21 13:005.410MAP I Felt It INFO
    USGSPapua, IndonesiaJul 21 13:005.436MAP I Felt It
    GEOFONIrian Jaya Region, IndonesiaJul 21 13:005.239MAP I Felt It
    USGSCook Strait, New ZealandJul 21 12:394.712MAP I Felt It
    EMSCCook Strait, New ZealandJul 21 12:394.712MAP I Felt It INFO
    GEOFONEastern Honshu, JapanJul 21 09:535.010MAP I Felt It
    EMSCNear East Coast Of Honshu, JapanJul 21 09:535.110MAP I Felt It INFO
    USGSNear The East Coast Of Honshu, JapanJul 21 09:524.919MAP I Felt It
    USGSEastern New Guinea Region, Papua New GuineaJul 21 09:515.254MAP I Felt It
  • Goroka - Barely felt anything but had to check
  • Madang - Some light shaking followed by a moderate tremor.
  • Madang - 2 quick bursts of strong shaking
  • Madang - Light/mod shaking finished with large jolt.
  • Madang - One moderate shake. No aftershocks.
  • EMSCEastern New Guinea Reg., P.n.g.Jul 21 09:515.210MAP I Felt It
    GEOFONEastern New Guinea Reg., P.n.g.Jul 21 09:515.110MAP I Felt It INFO
    GEONETSeddonJul 21 09:474.614MAP I Felt It
    EMSCCook Strait, New ZealandJul 21 09:324.713MAP I Felt It
    USGSCook Strait, New ZealandJul 21 09:324.713MAP I Felt It
    GEONETSeddonJul 21 09:324.817MAP I Felt It
    GEONETSeddonJul 21 08:414.743MAP I Felt It
    GEONETSeddonJul 21 08:275.016MAP I Felt It
    GEONETHanmer SpringsJul 21 08:275.313MAP I Felt It
    GEONETHaastJul 21 07:405.213MAP I Felt It INFO
    GEONETAkaroaJul 21 07:285.358MAP I Felt It INFO
    EMSCNear East Coast Of Honshu, JapanJul 21 07:034.940MAP I Felt It INFO
    USGSNear The East Coast Of Honshu, JapanJul 21 07:034.748MAP I Felt It INFO
    GEOFONNear East Coast Of Honshu, JapanJul 21 07:035.010MAP I Felt It
    EMSCCook Strait, New ZealandJul 21 06:594.710MAP I Felt It
    USGSCook Strait, New ZealandJul 21 06:594.710MAP I Felt It
    GEONETSeddonJul 21 06:594.916MAP I Felt It
    GEONETReeftonJul 21 06:235.413MAP I Felt It
    GEONETSeddonJul 21 06:064.617MAP I Felt It
    USGSCook Strait, New ZealandJul 21 06:064.610MAP I Felt It
    EMSCCook Strait, New ZealandJul 21 06:064.610MAP I Felt It
    EMSCNear East Coast Of Honshu, JapanJul 21 05:335.030MAP I Felt It INFO
    GEOFONNear East Coast Of Honshu, JapanJul 21 05:334.810MAP I Felt It
    USGSNear The East Coast Of Honshu, JapanJul 21 05:334.831MAP I Felt It
    GEONETSeddonJul 21 05:314.66MAP I Felt It
    GEONETSeddonJul 21 05:294.822MAP I Felt It
    GEONETCheviotJul 21 05:235.328MAP I Felt It INFO
    PTWCOff East Coast Of The South Island N.z.Jul 21 05:176.931MAP I Felt It
    GEONETWellingtonJul 21 05:174.68MAP I Felt It
    GEONETKarameaJul 21 05:135.55MAP I Felt It INFO
    GEONETWellingtonJul 21 05:125.26MAP I Felt It
    WCATWCOff E. Coast Of S. Island N.z.Jul 21 05:106.930MAP I Felt It
    GEOFONCook Strait, New ZealandJul 21 05:096.510MAP I Felt It
    EMSCCook Strait, New ZealandJul 21 05:096.62MAP I Felt It INFO
    USGSOff The East Coast Of The South Island Of NewJul 21 05:096.931MAP I Felt It
    USGSCook Strait, New ZealandJul 21 05:096.514MAP I Felt It
    GEONETSeddonJul 21 05:096.517MAP I Felt It
  • Hokitika - Earthquake 4mins ago
  • Puni - Mild shaking in Pukekohe area, obviously due to a bigger shake elsewhere!
  • wellington - big shake
  • Blenheim - Just before 5.15 pm. Prolonged and shook ornaments off shelves. Followed by several aftershakes. Quite scary.
  • New plymouth - Rolling sensation for about 30 seconds
  • Wellington - Shit
  • Tawa Wellington - A long shake getting stronger as it rocked
  • Paraparaumu - About 5:10pm, 21.7.13. Strong juddering followed by strong shaking, about a minute, furniture swaying, hanging plants swaying for several minutes after. A couple of ornaments fallen over. Slight rocking for ten minutes or so afterwards.
  • Porirua - This was the strongest earthquake so far, for the first time we saw damage to household items crockery etc The shake was longer and stronger There was complete calm before the earthquake thus highlighting its severity So now we are picking up the damaged items fortunately no too bad
  • Hamilton - Rolling more than shaking
  • Dannevirke - Lasted for over 30 seconds
  • hawera - Lasted for ages
  • New Plymouth - biggest I've felt
  • paraparaumu - wake up from sleep & obejects started falling down
  • Havelock North - rolling shake for about 30 seconds
  • Blenheim - My first time.
  • Hamilton - didnt feel anything but my pool was sploshing from side to side and overflowing over the edge each time, lasted for like 10 minutes
  • westport - slow rolling lasted 1 minute +
  • Napier - It was a very long lasting shake. But not too weak (sth between very weak and weak) My Mom first thougth she'd have another stroke and almost paniced. I thought the shaking is from my very bad headache. So I said "Mum can we turn down the heater everything's moving!" and she replied "Thank god, it's not only me. I thougth I am having another stroke!!"
  • wellington - Eu estava sentada na cama com os pes no chao, tremeu forte durante 5 segundos mais ou menos. Hoje, dia 21 de julho as 5.09. Hr da tarde foi maior o tremor e mais prolongado estava no lado de fora de casa.
  • wellington - Agora a tarde, 5.09hrs estava fora de casa no jardim e o tremor foi maior e demorou aproximadamente 10 seg
  • веллингтон - Живу в многоэтажном доме.Дом трясло и раскачивало.Падала посуда, книги,настольная лампа.Было очень страшно.
  • Turangi - Light shaking
  • rotorua - light shaking
  • Marton - Strongest I have felt
  • gisborne - felt tremors for about a minute or so
  • stratford - long shake
  • Waiuku - Very slight movement. Blinds swinging by themselves.
  • Kuratau - A bit of rocking and sideways motion. Went on for a while probably 45 seconds or so. Nothing major at all.
  • Raglan North Island - Lasted about 20 seconds;crystals hanging in my windows swayed.
  • Waiuku - Rolling sensation for 10-15 seconds. Hanging plants and light fixtures were swinging. Neighbors on both sides felt the same.
  • clive - swaying felt in office while at the computer, blinds shook on window, bird cage swayed back and forth, it went on about 20 seconds and then again a few more seconds, I felt uneasy and switched off the computer no damage in house later Tv cinfirmed Wellington Quake
  • Te Atatu Peninsula AK - Very weak north - south rolling motion, blind chains swayed, faint vibration like truck passing for about 60 secs. 4th storey apartment. Also felt by neighbours.
  • Turakina valley rd - It was a moderate to strong as we our feel the whole ground move .
  • blenheim - And untill now......several time i felt that moderate shaking.
  • feilding - Loud rumble and shaking first then slow roll for ages. No damage
  • greymouth - Siting on couch in lounge and felt house shaking
  • upper hutt - the shake just keep going more then others that we have felt at 6.9 now 6.5 it last 4 2mins maybe longer wasnt timeing it
  • newtown wellington - The Appartment was swinging but Thanks no damage or injury happened to my family members. I felt the earthquake at 7.50 am and in the evening the apartment was shaking too much. I think i felt the tremour for tão minutes
  • Hawera - A very long earthquake-more than a minute of shaking
  • Newlands - Very strong shaking
  • City - Scary being in the city at Meow cafe, stayed put though but pleased to get out of the city
  • Waikanae - Was in the bath at the time, water sloshing around like being on a boat. Went on for some time, that worried I got out of bath quick, thought what the hell am I going to do with a towel around me?!
  • Karamea - I was sat on my sofa and the whole house shook. The tree outside too and the glass was rattling. Lasted maybe thirty seconds to a minute at that strength then lots of small shakes all evening. Karamea on the west coast of the South Island.
  • Marton - Was a side to side motion the lasted a long while. No obvious damage as was not jolting. Hanging fixtures swung dramatically
  • Wellington - Moderate shake, left a few things rattling in the apartment
  • papakura - Very light shaking..doors, curtains shaking, house creaking.
  • papakura - felt more like a rolling,hanging plants were swaying gently
  • EMSCCentral ItalyJul 21 01:325.05MAP I Felt It
  • Civitanova marche - The house shook for 4-5 seconds.
  • Monterubbiano (FM) - Mi ha svegliata e sembrava non finisse mai
  • Monterubbiano (FM) - mi ha svegliata , non finiva mai
  • Pescara - My sofa moved and trembled for some seconds
  • Moliagno - Woke up - usually a v heavy sleeper - thought someone had bumped into my bed - ornaments wobbled but did not fall. This farmhouse - renovated 9 years ago has earthquake "protection" . I'm on second floor
  • Francavilla d'Ete - Staying on the second floor of a converted farmhouse. The apartment was shaking side to side and I could hear the glasses in a cabinet tinkling a little. Nothing broken or misplaced.
  • recanati - rumble in room for about 10 seconds
  • Villa rosa - Light shaking woke me up
  • chieti - sembrava fosse il vento
  • villa rosa martinsicuro - We felt the bed in our room shaking for about 10 seconds and could see the light fitting on the ceiling swaying
  • Agugliano - abitazione piano primo - scossa avvertita chiaramente - risveglio improvviso - alcuni secondi
  • falconara marittima - :
  • Civitanova - (The house shook for about 5 seconds.
  • Sirolo - It woke me up, car alarms went off
  • Numana - Everybody in the house woke up. Frightened children.
  • porto potenza picena - it was shaking and i got up screaming
  • Ancona - Ho avuto molta paura..dato che ultimamente questi terremoti sono molto frequenti qui nei dintorni..e man mano sempre più forti!
  • Castelfidardo - Réveillés brutalement... le lit bougeait, les volets grondaient pendant plusieurs secondes. C'est efferayant
  • Osimo - Io e la mia ragazza siamo balzati giù dal letto, la cosa che mi ha impressionato di più è stato il rombo in aottofondo. Sembrava quasi che la terra urlasse!
  • Castelfidardo - J'ai été réveillé par les grondements des volets et le lit qui bougeait. Cela a duré quelques secondes mais c'est effrayant !
  • Giulianova - Ben wakker geworden door het schudden van het bed en een schuifdeur rammelde. Duurde zo'n 20-tal seconden
  • Spoleto - I was awake at 3.34am the bed shook for about 10 seconds.
  • Sirolo - Strong Shaking felt in Sirolo. Frightening. (via emsc)
  • Numana - Very strong
  • Villagio Taunus - Il terremoto di qualche giorno fa' del 3,2 l ho sentito ma non molto. Questo e' durato tanto e ci ha spaventati. (via emsc)
  • Porto Recanati - Just 10 or 15 seconds of rumbling. Other people escape out in the street but any damage suffered. No sound, any glasses broke....come back sleep..... (via emsc)
  • Loreto - It woke us up, lasted several seconds, quite strong. No fires or electrical outages on the horizon. (via emsc)
  • Castignagno - Lag te slapen en werd wakker doordat bed bewoog en hoorde gebrom. Had onmiddellijk door dat de aarde beefde.
  • Recanati, Italy - Located at the top of a hill in a hotel in the medieval town of Recanati. Happened to be awake at 3.30am when the whole building started to shake and rattle. Lasted about 5 seconds.
  • Portonovo - Building was shaking a lttle (hotel Emilia). It was in the middle of the night so we didnot register the exact time
  • Porto Recanati - We were all awaken by the shakings. Everyone from the hotel went outside. It was scary.
  • Sirolo - Werden wakker van sterk schuddende stacaravan op camping in Sirolo.
  • Rapagnano, Marche, Italy - Bed shook for a few seconds, then when the second quake happened, bottles in our store room shook, awaking my husband yet again
  • montefiore dell'aso - light shaking of the bed at Villa Alwin, Montefiore dell'aso
  • Mogliano - Woke up with the shaking
  • fermo.. - obudzilo mnie ruszanie sie domu,w fermo
  • Castelfildardo - House shooked for 4-5 seconds.
  • Alteta (Montegiorgio) - Wakker geworden door rammelende luiken en trillende tafels (op betonnen vloer). Tijdstip niet geregistreerd doordat het midden in de nacht was.
  • Montegiorgio - We werden wakker van trillende tafeltjes en luiken voor de ramen.
  • sarnano - House shook for about 5 seconds.
  • Civitanova marche - About 8 seconds the house was shaking
  • Agriana - light shaking
  • Civitanovamarche - 10seconds fairly strong shake
  • Tortereto - Licht beven gedurende ca. 10 seconden
  • via torresi Ancona - Woken by bed shaking. Lasted about 10 seconds. Felt like whole room moving. Live on fourth floor. Happened again later but less intense. Middle of night, not sure of time.
  • Macerata - midnight, not quite sure about the time
  • Giulianova - Object leaning against caravan rattled. Movement in caravan only just perceptable.
  • Cingoli - very light shaking felt in the middle of the night, i was woken up.
  • Porto Recanatie - Op 17 juli voelden we om ongeveer 23.15 uur een korte, lichte trilling. Op 21 juli voelden 's nachts een matig/ krachtige trilling. Beide trillingen voelden we in de stacaravan.
  • Monsampietro morico - Een zacht beven
  • Sant' Angelo in Pontano MC - Ca. um 03.30h heftige Bewegung des Hauses für etwa 3-4 Sekunden. Bin davon wach geworden.
  • cupramontana - The bed was a bit shaking.
  • Porto piceno potenza - Tout tremblait
  • Porto san giorgio - Appr. 5 secondes at 03.30 hours
  • Gualdo mc - Felt house moving side to side , dogs disturbed and barking , sliding doors rattling
  • fermo - i had just sat in bed and turned off the lights after returning from Rome on the bus when about 10 minutes later i felt 1 strong jolt followed 30 seconds later by a 3 minute long constant shake
  • belmonte piceno - lasted a few seconds of shuddering.
  • GEOFONCentral ItalyJul 21 01:325.05MAP I Felt It INFO
    USGSCentral ItalyJul 21 01:324.99MAP I Felt It
    INGVAncona, ItalyJul 21 01:324.98MAP I Felt It INFO
    GEONETKaikouraJul 21 00:214.634MAP I Felt It


    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.