Wednesday 24 July 2013

A campaign

The North Pole and Radio New Zealand



This morning, listening to Radio NZ I heard a promotion for Afternoons, inviting people to suggest topics of discussion.

So I sent the following to Jim Mora who hosts the show:



Dear Jim,

This morning your advertisement invited listeners to suggest stories for discussion on Afternoons.

Here is one that is getting very little attention - so I am hoping that you can rectify the matter.

The above picture is take at the North Pole, which just a few weeks ago was a picture of snow and ice. Now the second webcam that is permanently at the Pole to record events is part of a lake of water.

In short, ice at the North Pole is melting and, as of a week ago the thickness of the ice was recorded as being 0-1 meter.  

There have been high temperatures - including a heat wave in Alaska, 40C in the Kara Sea in the Russian Arctic and when I looked last night temperatures at the Pole were logged at 75F, temperature we would be pleased with here in NZ during the summer.

I am sure that this is worthy of bringing to the attention of your listeners, especially those who value being informed over being entertained

Robin Westenra...


PS: Here are just a view items so you can confirm this for yourself






Here is his response:

Yes it is interesting Robin, and certainly arresting to see the photos (thanks) but is it new? The melting of the arctic ice has been discussed for ages.

I didn't know about the high temperatures, which is an eye-opener, but I can't see how I'd cover it.

What I'll do is save your email and see if I can squeeze it into conversation when an opportunity arises.

Jim  


Radio New Zealand is not CNN or MSNBC. It is publicly-owned broadcasting and still subject to some pressure.

If you have a moment, I suggest you email Jim Mora from whereever you are in the world and let him know your response and why you think he should cover the subject

He can be contacted at:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.