Wednesday 6 March 2013

A campaign


Please add your voice!

Global warming and the NZ media


So incensed have I been at the lack of coverage and failure to make a link between the New Zealand droughts and global warming, that I sent the following letter to Radio New Zealand


I would like to thank Radio New Zealand for all the good work that you have done in covering the drought in New Zealand.

However, there has been excellent work done by the Australian Climate Commission linking the extreme weather they have been experiencing.

I have noticed that this has had international attention - eg the Independent and the Telegraph.

This has had no mention that I could find anywhere in the New Zealand media - neither have any number of similar articles or reports that reach a similar question.

Seeing Australia is our nearest neigbour and our fates are so interlinked, I find this strange at best, reprehensible at worst.

I would have thought that with the drought taking over so much of the country (and a looming water problem) that similar questions might have been asked in this country.

When I googled to find a connection between New Zealand, drought and global warming, the last article I could find was published in the NZ Herald in 2005.



You can do much better than this

Robin Westenra


A whole lot of letters is going to make a lot more of an impression than just one, so I urge you to add your voice.

TVNZ and the print media are already beyong the pale, but hopefully Radio New Zealand is still capable of giving this coverage.

Please add your voice, and send a letter to any (or all) of the following!



1 comment:

  1. Interesting thought Robin - certainly seems on the money, but I wonder what more coverage would do: hopefully get the farmers aware of their connection with the earth? (As an aside, it seems strange that our largest and most unrepentant polluters are seemingly oblivious to the interconnections here - when their line of work would have traditionally made them most prescient of it...)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.